Wednesday, April 08, 2009

Economy Blues

In a recent issue of Computers in Classrooms, which I posted on my main website, ICT in Education, I mentioned the fact that many moons ago I taught my students the basics of two opposing economics theories by summarising each of them in a blues song. One of my subscribers said, in an email to me:

"I'd have liked the words to your economics blues songs."

So, here they are! Enjoy.

Monetarist Theory Blues

by Irving Fisher and the Classicals

Woke up this morning, saw that interest rates are low.

I said I woke up this morning, and saw that interest rates are low.

I said to my woman, I ain't gonna save nothing no more.

 

My woman told me, son you better save some cash.

Yes, my woman told me, boy you better save some cash.

I told her interest rates are low, so ain't no point in building up a stash.

 

One of these days, interest rates are gonna rise again.

I got a feeling in my bones, that interest rates gonna rise again.

When that day come, my days of spending are gonna end.

 

Keynesian Theory Blues

By Johnny Keynes and the Marginals

Interest rates are high, but my income's way too low.

I said that interest rates are high, but my income's way too low.

I said to my woman, I ain't gonna save nothing no more.

 

My woman told me that stashing my cash is wrong.

Yes, my woman done told me, that stashing my cash is wrong.

She don't seem to understand that I might wanna buy me some bonds.

 

One of these mornings, gonna get me a well-paid job.

I said that one of these mornings, I'm gonna get me a well-paid job.

When that day come, gonna stop being a no-savings slob.

 

4 comments:

Helen said...

Ah, well, now I'm really inspired. Here's "Why did I choose the emerging markets?" blues

oh, that pension pot done dwindled
there's dust instead of gold
I say that old pension pot done dwindled
there's dust in there, not gold
oh lawdy lawd have mercy
I'm so feared of bein' old
------
emerging markets seemed a sure thing
goin back to 89
them old 'merging markets such a good thing
in 1989
my portfol-yo begged to have its fill
and we all was feelin' fine
------
now my annuity will be peanuts
that ol' annuity will be low
oh my annuity will be peanuts
it's gonna be so low
balanced risk was just for scared folks
but them folks was in the know
------
gotta get me out to work more
gotta forgit about that pot
gotta get me out to work more
just forgit about that pot
I just hope the reaper takes me
before I've used the lot
------
diddly, diddly, diddly, beep-bo-bo-bum!

Terry Freedman said...

LOL. Sounds like u enjoyed doing that. Loved the last 2 lines!

Unknown said...

Hey these are good fun. I need a cheering up over pensions!

My Writes said...

thx, Christina! LOL