Thursday, July 17, 2008

Gadget mad

One of the unexpected pleasures of travelling in London is fending off the hordes of people trying to shove free newspapers into your hand. Sometimes I take them in order to do the crossword or the soduko.

Sometimes I take them in order to experience the sensation of degenerating brain cells as I read about the so-called concerns of so-called celebrities. Today I took one because it was one I'd never come across before: Sport Magazine.

I have zero interest in sports. The last time I played sport was when I was 13 years old, an occasion which still causes me to be emotionally traumatised when I dwell on it. Anyway, I did what I do with any paper these days: turned straight to the gizmo section.

The best type of gadget is, of course, one for which you have no need whatsoever. I was not disappointed. One of their must-have choices was a shaver called the Braun Pulsonic, a snip at a mere £250 (approximately $500) -- although the web price seems to be £100 less. Apparently, this vibrates, causing the skin to raise problem hairs.

Well, perhaps I'm missing the point, but I cause my hair to stand on end every morning just by looking in the mirror first thing in the morning. Failing that, I use a hot flannel. That has stood me in good stead for the past 40 years.

The other trick up my sleeve is that I use a razor that is cunningly designed to remove the top layer of skin, especially when I'm in a tearing hurry. True, there's the unfortunate side effect that I lose about a pint of blood and end up looking like a patchwork quilt because of all the bandages on my face, but the point is that it works.

I love the idea of the Pulsonic. The very name gives it geek cred. And if those nice people at Braun wish to send me one to evaluate, I will happily review it. But until and unless that happens, I will stick to my status quo. Anyone here a blood donor?

No comments: