Thursday, September 21, 2006

A brief update: work completed, work in progress

To be honest, I don't really like itemising all the things I've done, because when I read other people's blogs about that sort of thing it always strikes me as really egotistical and boring. People do it, I think, in order to either boost their fragile egos or to get extra work. Maybe both.

OK, I can understand that last one, but quite frankly, when I read blogs or articles which include phrases like "As I said to X [insert grand title here] of Y [insert any country here] last week...", I just want to reach for the nearest bucket.

It is usually so unsubtle. I remember a MAD magazine piece many years ago in which they suggested embedding advertisements into movies, in order to save time by not having advertisement breaks. This was in the days before product placement had been thought of.

Thus, a scene from a War movie went something like this:

Sergeant: OK, boys, let's get them dirty reds.

Private: I, I can't, Sarge. I got this terrible stomach ache caused by excess acidity. Guess I'm gonna have to sit this one out.

Sergeant: Hey, soldier. What you need is EasiTum. (Produces packet from pocket.) Scientific tests have shown that 9 out of 10 people who tried EasiTum thought their symptoms had declined instantly.

<Special rippling fade in/fade out effect.>

Private: Hey, Sarge. I feel much better. That lousy stomach ache has gone, thanks to you.

Sarge: Don't thank me, Private. Thank the uniquely-formulated anti-acidites that make up 98% of the ingredients of EasiTum. Now let's get to work.

Believe it or not, I have read articles which actually read like that, but with the author's self-proclaimed expertise taking the place of the tablets. I think they sound ridiculous and, in a rather sad way, a little pathetic.

So, in terms of advertising myself, all I am going to say is that if you're interested in what I do, look here for a generic list. If anything strikes you as potentially interesting to your situation, I can give you concrete examples and client references. In the meantime, here is a general list of stuff going on now, which I think -- I hope -- you will find quite impressive.

Work completed

  • Lots.
  • Had an article about Learning Platforms published in the Guardian 2 days ago.
  • Even more.

Work in progress

  • Lots.
  • The 2nd edition of Coming of Age: An Introduction to the New Worldwide web.
  • When am I gonna get any sleep?
  • I am giving an inaugural speech as Chair of Naace soon. I wanted to keep the speech as short as possible, preferably not more than 5 minutes, or 10 at the outside. I estimated the length of my speech as being 4.72 minutes, but I am about to make some changes which will affect that.

 

No comments: